Stopham

Saxon Churches in Sussex
Home Up

horizontal rule

 

Stopham - St Mary's - Photo Tour - February 2004

 

horizontal rule


SCM vol 8 1934

horizontal rule

SUSSEX CHURCH PLANS.
XLIII.-ST. MARY, STOPHAM.

Stopham Church is best known for its very fine series of Barttelot brasses and its remarkable renaissance glass, with figure subjects and heraldry (the east window being dated 1638), but the fabric is of considerable interest. The north and south doorways are early examples of Norman work and indicate an 11th century building of the nave and the old part of the chancel. The peculiar thicknessing of the walls enclosing the arched altar recess suggests that there was originally an apse, the present arrangement dating probably from the 17th century when the east window was inserted.

An early blocked window can be seen outside in the north wall. The chancel arch and its side recess are of the 14th century. The western tower is post-reformation, perhaps re-built about 1614, the date of one of its bells although it had, no doubt, a predecessor as the other bell is of the 15th century. There was a cell, on the north side of the church, of a female recluse who received half a mark under the terms of St. Richard's will.            W.H.G.

SNQ Volume 7 1938

horizontal rule

All presented material is for Private Study Only
Copyright 2002-2010 Martin B Snow. All rights reserved.
Revised: February 20, 2010 .